Tuesday, February 10, 2009

We're Getting There!

Wow, it's been 4 years since he was born, but I am finally riding JC. He has exceeding some of my expectations and didn't rise up to others. He is beautiful, but is not gaited. I can forgive him that. He is a gentle giant of a boy. Everything he is in his stall; he is when you ride him. He doesn't get angry or confused. He doesn't hold it against me that it takes time for me to get on him and end up hitting him with the step stool. He doesn't get upset that I hang on his mouth every now and then and that I don't understand him as well as his trainer did. He always keeps his head in a perfect place without me having to fight with him. I cluck and he steps up with no hesitation. I say back and he backs his three steps.

Through these years, he and I have developed a relationship; I believe that relationship has carried on to my riding him. He knows I am the "carrot girl" and I love him. He trusts me and I trust him. He tries to teach me to help him and I do my best. I don't always get it right, but he doesn't resent it when I make a mistake; which I do frequently. He never loses his temper or gives in to my frustration. It is like he is saying, "Will you chill out; we will get there together." He and I are learning to come together as a team. The 4 year old is teaching the 40 something how to trust him completely. more

No comments: